Eight professionals were recognized for their leadership in addressing safety and security issues during the 2022 National Sports Safety and Security Conference & Exhibition, June 28-30 in Orlando.
The Professional of the Year Award recognizes a member of management in the field that has, over the past year, demonstrated outstanding leadership in addressing safety/security issues. In addition to the enhanced safety and security of their venue, the recipient’s contributions have set an example for others to follow.
“There is no greater honor than being recognized by your peers for the work being conducted on a daily basis to ensure the safety and security of all,” said Dr. Stacey A. Hall, NCS4 executive director and professor of Sport Management.
Each league or organization selects the criteria and determines who will be recognized. Individuals who received the award include:
- Andrea Dowdy, CEO, Denver Colfax Marathon
- André D. Walker, director of athletics and UIL activities, Houston Independent School District
- Robert Weiseman, senior associate athletic director for athletic facilities, game operations, events & championships, Duke University
- Carlos Campos, senior manager, stadium operations, Los Angeles Angels
- Mike Purdy, regional soccer security agent, Major League Soccer
- Darren F. Johnson, director of stadium safety and security, Detroit Lions
- Jennifer Pfeister, director of safety and security, Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse
- John Graeber, executive director, safety and security, Navy Pier