At the 2020 STMA Conference, Pioneer Athletics announced its latest storytelling campaign, Pioneers in the Field.
Pioneers in the Field was created to highlight the stories of professionals in the sports field management industry who always endure the long hours and Mother Nature’s wrath to provide some of the best playing surfaces in the nation.
Six sports turf professionals were introduced as the inaugural class of Pioneers.
- Tod Shafer, groundskeeper for the Louisville Bats
- Andrew Miller, director of the Turfgrass Management Program at Brentsville District High School
- Weston Appelfeller, senior director of grounds for Austin FC
- Jeff Feltman, sports facility manager at Christ Church Academy
- Stephen Lord, head groundskeeper for the Cincinnati Reds
- Josh Carico, athletic fields supervisor at Harrisonburg City Schools
The Pioneers not only take great pride in what they do on their fields, they take pride in being able to further the industry as a whole, whether that be through mentoring the next generation of sports field managers or redefining the role of a groundskeeper all together. Each Pioneer is sure to leave a legacy as a sports field manager, co-worker and friend. To read about the 2020 Pioneers in the Field, visit https://pioneerathletics.com/pioneers-in-the-field