Three years in the making, the Next Lazer Z is an evolution of Exmark’s premier product, the Lazer Z, and includes dozens of enhancements that will reduce maintenance, improve traction and handling, and make the mower safer and more comfortable for landscape professionals.
“There are probably people who will wonder why Exmark made changes to what was already considered by many to be the best commercial riding mower on the market,” said Mark Stinson, Exmark President and CEO. “But as the market share leader, we know it is our responsibility to evolve our products to meet the changing needs of our customers, dealers and distributors.”
The Next Lazer Z resulted from a combination of customer feedback, and Exmark’s own research and development of new technologies. Long before Next Lazer Z production began, Exmark engineers, product managers, marketing staff and customer service representatives spent hundreds of hours in the field talking with landscape professionals.
“We started with our customers,” said Dave Converse, Exmark’s Director of Engineering. “Our goal, as it has been for 25 years, was to understand their needs and expectations so that we could enhance our product in ways that could make customers’ lives a little easier.”
On a parallel path, Exmark began investigating a number of new technologies and solutions to improve customer experience, without sacrificing Exmark’s trademark superior quality of cut and productivity. Exmark engineers started with a blank slate when designing the Next Lazer Z, incorporating many of the Lazer Z’s most popular elements while improving upon others, or adding new features entirely.
“Nothing on the new mower is a result of chance,” said Steve Finkner, Senior Principal Design Engineer for the Next Lazer Z. “There was a reason for everything we did. Every feature has a purpose and was designed in a very deliberate manner.”
Some of the most significant innovations on the Next Lazer Z include:
• Cutting Deck: The new UltraCut Series 6 was created by combining the best of the UltraCut Series 4 and Triton cutting decks.
• Seating System: To lessen operator fatigue, Exmark created an entirely new seating system with a three-dimensional motion isolation layout that reduces vibrations, bumps and jarring. Its rubber mounts allow ½ inch free movement in all directions.
• Hydro Drive System: Exmark designed a custom Hydro Drive System with no hoses, a serviceable pump and motor, tougher bearings, and an improved cooling system for better productivity and increased oil capacity. When used with exclusive Exmark Premium Hydro Oil, the new Hydro Drive System requires even less maintenance.
• Rollover Protection System (ROPS): The ROPS’ new rear-sloping position allows it to shed low-hanging limbs away from the operator. Its fold points are lower so it won’t hit objects when in the folded position.
• Unibody Frame: The Next Lazer Z’s unibody frame sits close to the ground, allowing for the optimum placement of the mower’s heaviest components, and helping to improve center of gravity.
In addition to increasing comfort, traction and handling, and safety, Exmark engineers and product managers focused on reducing required maintenance of the mower. Exmark simplified or removed certain components from the original Lazer Z, reducing the number of parts on the Next Lazer Z by 40 percent.
The Next Lazer Z also has fewer grease points.