Grounds managers from across the country will have the opportunity to “Transform” themselves, their teams and their organizations during the Professional Grounds Management Society’s (PGMS) 2023 Annual Conference “Transform” taking place in Louisville, KY Oct 17-20, 2023.
Transform is a four-day event that provides opportunities for high-level grounds management education, networking, and access to the industry’s largest tradeshow, Equip Exposition. The schedule includes three keynote programs, multiple networking sessions, and the annual awards celebration. New this year is the Women’s Forum Luncheon and Panel Discussion, sponsored by Hunter Industries.
This year’s education includes:
- “Don’t Undersell the Importance of Grounds Management” presented by George Bernardon and Tom Lapp
- “Grounds Management in a Facility Management World” presented by James Kaufmann
- “Allyship & Leading Inclusively: Building a Ground-Breaking Culture” panel presentation with Meg Smolinski, Sun Roesslein, CSFM, and Warren Gorowitz. Moderated by Paula Sliefert
- “Impact Leadership – Develop Talent, Create a Sense of Purpose & Build a Culture People Love” presented by Betsy Allen-Manning
- “Designing and Maintaining Safe, Creative and Healthy Landscapes” panel presentation with Phil Richey, John Swintosky, and Chris Vetick. Moderated by Roger Conner, CGM
- “Beech Leaf Disease: A Threat to the ‘Queen of the Forest,’ the American Beech” presented by Andrew Loyd
- “Using the Past to Reveal the Present: Identification and Special Management of Legacy Landscape Features” presented by Michael Gaige
- “Field Problem Solving” presented by Mike Goatley and Gregg Munshaw
- “Illuminated Spaces: A Study in Outdoor Evening Gatherings at Classic Destinations” presented by Mark Oxley and Matt Meiklejohn
- “Keys to Developing a Geographically Authentic Plant Palette” presented by Stephanie Krull, CGM
- “Sharing Data Effectively: How to Turn Information into Impact” presented by Bobbi Nance
- “Creative Problem Solving When Faced with Budget Constraints” presented by Steve D’Amato
- “Understanding Stormwater Best Management Practices and Conservation Landscapes” presented by Jason Swope, CBLP
- “Optimizing the Workforce” presented by Patti Weiter
“Transform education sessions have been designed to provide thoughtful discussion with solution-oriented takeaways to ensure grounds professionals of all levels have the opportunity to learn, engage and explore over four days of education and networking” commented 2023 Education Chairperson, Michael Gildea, CGM. “The committee’s focus has been to design a new conference experience that recognizes the breadth of knowledge our members need to run successful grounds operations.”
PGMS will also provide four enhanced education sessions as an Equip Exposition Education Partner. Thursday, October 19 sessions:
- “It’s Not About the Paycheck” presented by Jeff McManus, Director of Landscape Services, Ole Miss University & Trainer with the Jeff McManus Group; and
- Spanish language education session “Selección de una Agencia de Empleo que le Combiene Mejor a su Compañía” presented by Mary Abbott, Owner/Manager with Mow Beta! Mowing and Snowplowing.
Friday, October 20 sessions:
- “Landscape Design Toolbox” presented by Stephanie Krull, Landscape & Grounds Manager; and
- “National Turfgrass Trialing Program: Helping You Choose the Right Turf” presented by Kelly Kopp, Professor/Extension Specialist with Utah State University.
“Transform” attendees will also have access to Equip Exposition, featuring the latest industry equipment, services and technology. Attendees can enjoy the 30-acre outdoor demonstration yard to test the newest industry equipment.
More information, including the conference brochure and registration can be found at: https://pgms.org/page/2023AnnualConf.
At the 2023 Annual Conference, the 2023 Professional Awards, Green Star Awards and Certified Grounds Managers will be recognized during the Annual Award Celebration, held the evening of Thursday, October 19 at the Galt House Hotel. This event is open to the public. Full details are available online at https://pgms.org/page/2023AnnualConf. Registration to attend “Transform” is open to grounds professionals of all industries and experience levels, and early registration is recommended.