SFMA is offering a free webinar on Tuesday, June 14 at 2 p.m. EDT on the topic of Breeding Zoysiagrass for Sports Fields. The webinar will be hosted by Chrissie Segars, Ph.D., Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and Ambika Chandra, Ph.D., Texas A&M AgriLife Research.
Zoysiagrass, a warm-season turfgrass, is adapted to the tropical regions, as well as the transition zone of the United States. The interest in the use of zoysiagrass on sports fields is increasing. With proper selection of varieties and proper management practices, zoysiagrass will produce high-quality playing surfaces with fewer inputs. This seminar will review the history, genetics, development, performance, and use of zoysiagrass on sports fields. Participants should learn a brief history of zoysigrass, the current available cultivars, plus their strengths and weaknesses as well as the latest agronomic and pest management strategies to provide peak performance.
Attendees should come away with a bigger understanding of how breeding programs are developed and how cultivars are chosen to move forward. Discussions will be focused on breeding zoysiagrass for sports fields and current research that Texas A&M is undergoing to assess traffic tolerance and recovery of commercial and experimental zoysiagrass.
To register, visit https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZzwQ7X6wR-aNGTV2DWOziQ
In addition, the Professional Grounds Management Society (PGMS) has given SFMA members access to its professional development webinars.
- Wednesday, July 13 at 1 pm EDT – How to Recruit, Retain and Manage a Diverse Workforce
- Wednesday, September 21 at 1 pm EDT – How to Manage Employee Turnover and Improve Employee Retention
To register, create a prospective/non-member account following the steps below:
- Visit https://pgms.org/general/register_member_type.asp? to complete your account registration. Be sure to check the Prospective/Non-Member button when starting the account registration process.
- After creating your Prospective/Non-Member account, click on the Calendar tab on the right-hand side of the screen. Click on the registration button for the webinar you wish to attend.
- When checking out, enter Promo Code SFMA2022
- Contact email@example.com with any questions.