The 2018 STMA Board of Directors officially took office during the association’s annual meeting on Thursday, January 18. The elections were held electronically in November to mid-December.
Sarah Martin, CSFM, and Foreman I and Turf Manager at Reach 11 Sports Complex for the City of Phoenix, was elected President. Other Officers elected include:
• President-Elect – Jody Gill, CSFM, Grounds Coordinator, Blue Valley School District (Overland Park, Kan.)
• Immediate Past President – Tim VanLoo, CSFM, Manager of Athletics Turf/Grounds, Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa)
• Secretary / Treasurer – Jimmy Simpson, CSFM, Town of Cary (Cary, N.C.)
• Vice President Commercial – Boyd Montgomery, CSFM, Certified Sales Executive, Regional Business Manager, The Toro Company (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Members elected to Director positions include:
• Academic Director – Jason Kruse, Ph.D., University of Florida, (Gainesville, Fla.)
• Higher Education Director – Nick McKenna, CSFM, Baseball Field Manager, Texas A&M (College Station, Texas)
• Director Parks and Recreation – James Bergdoll, CSFM, City of Chattanooga Public Works, (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
• Elected-at-Large Director – Matt Anderson, CSFM, Grounds Superintendent, University of Arizona (Tucson, Ariz.)
Members appointed to the Board by new President Sarah Martin, CSFM, include:
• Weston Appelfeller, CSFM, Director of Grounds, Columbus Crew (Columbus, Ohio) to Director representing Professional Facilities
• Tom Nielsen, Head Groundskeeper, Louisville Bats (Louisville, Ky.) to represent the At-Large Appointed Director
• Randy Price, Tri-Tex Grass (Granbury, Texas) to the Commercial Director
Sun Roesslein, CSFM, Jeffco Schools (Golden, Colo.) is fulfilling the second-year of a two-year term as Director for Schools K-12.