The 13th Annual Sports Turf Short Course is February 24th & 25th, 2010. The short course is designed for sports turf managers and grounds people that care for turf with multiple functions and is offered by The Ohio State University Extension Program and by The Ohio Sports Turf Managers Association (OSTMA).
The new short course location is The Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center on Ohio State’s campus. It is the first green building on campus and something we are all proud of!
COST: We have worked hard to keep costs down. The total for two full days of education, the evening reception and City Barbeque lunch both days is just $90! Parking is free at the Schottenstein Center adjacent to the 4-H building.
THERE ARE 3 GREAT REASONS TO ATTEND THIS CONFERENCE:
(1) Save time & money. Knowing how to buy the right equipment, accurately record pesticide applications and apply the correct amount of fertilizer and seed can save a considerable amount of time and money.
(2) Become Skilled in the most up-to-date techniques to provide our athletes with safe sports fields and discover what’s new in R&D and sustainability.
(3) Earn re-certification credits from STMA, OPRA and ODA
THE EDUCATION PROGRAM INCLUDES:
Wednesday, February 24
Registration opens at 8.00 am
Welcome by OSTMA President James Hlavaty
9.00am – Carbon Sequestration in Soils: Gina Zirkle, Scotts
9.30 am – Using Compost & Sand Dressings on Soil Fields: Marcela Munoz, OSU
10.00 am – Getting the Equipment you Need – it is Possible!: Jeff White, Marietta College
11.00 am – Strategies for Seasonal Growth and Greening of Sports Turf? Dr. John Street, OSU
1.00 pm – Irrigating Athletic Fields: Scott Knowles, Wolf Creek
2.00 pm – The Do’s & Don’ts of Sports Field Drainage: Ryan Gregoire, Ag Design
3.00 pm – Research You Can Use; PGRs, Renovation Tools and Grasses for 2010: Pamela Sherratt, OSU (Cat. 8, 1 hr.)
Thursday, February 25
Registration opens at 8.00 am
9.00 am – Turf Disease Update for 2010: Joe Rimelspach, OSU (Cat 8, 1 hr.)
10.00 am – Baseball Field Maintenance: Jake Tyler, Toledo Mudhens
11.00 am – Pesticide Regulations Update (CORE, 1 hr.): Joanne Kick-Raack
1.00 pm – Turf Insect Pest Update: Dr. Dave Shetlar, OSU (Cat. 8, 1hr.)
2.00 pm – Synthetic Turf; Present & Future: Dr. Charles Mancino, Synthetic Turf Testing
3.00 pm – PANEL; Controlling Poa annua and other Weed Grasses on Athletic Fields – What’s New?: Dr. John R. Street, Dr. Karl Danneberger and Dr. Dave Gardner, OSU (Cat 8, 1 hr.)
– ODA Pesticide License Testing & Presentation of Attendee Certificates will take place Thursday, February 25th.
– OPRA have granted 1.0 CEUs for the program
– STMA has awarded 0.6 CSFM CEUs for each day (1.2 total)
– OTF & OSTMA will host an evening industry reception at The Varsity Club on Wednesday, February 24th for all participants. This is a great time to network, meet new colleagues and share ideas!
REGISTRATION DETAILS & MORE INFO:
* To print off the PDF brochure/agenda and a hard copy of the registration form, click HERE.
* To register online, click HERE
To request a hard copy of the brochure and for registration help, telephone (888) 683-3445 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgThanks to our 2010 short course sponsors: Ohio State Extension, OSTMA, OTF, Ag Design, & Barenbrug